Easy Cheesy Grits with Shrimp
I admired and acquired a recipe I found online and make a few tweaks to fit my personal taste. If you like cheese and a dash of garlic hidden in your grits you have come to the right place! Be sure to give the optional ingredients a try, too!
- 6 cups chicken broth vegetable can be be substituted
- 8 oz butter, salted
- 2 cups heavy cream whipping cream can be substituted
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp garlic powder add more if you love garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups stone-ground course grits You can used course ground polenta if grits are not available
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shred with box grater 12-16 oz block before shredding
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded use the extra cheese to top the finished dish and put it under the broiler to melt
- 1/2 cup bacon, crumbled add into the grits or sprinkle on top
Combine the broth, cream, and water in the stockpot.
Add the butter and seasonings to the liquids, whisking all together over medium-high heat.
Bring it all to a boil.
Once it is boiling, slowly add in the grits.
Whisk together for 3 minutes, mixture will start to thicken.
Reduce the heat to low and allow to cook 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Turn off the heat and fold in the shredded cheese. Set to the side with the lid on the pot. Prepare the shrimp.