Hey, y'all! Just a heads up that there are affiliate links in this post. Which means that I will receive a small fee if you click on the link and buy the product or service. Read more here.
I love, love, love stuffing! It is honestly my favorite side dish for Thanksgiving dinner. As well as, my favorite leftover. This is my go-to option, a herb and mushroom stuffing recipe that you can quickly change to your preferences. And after a lot of formal and informal research, I am going with stuffing as the label for this side dish. Regional and demographic factors also say it could be called dressing.
Herb and Mushroom Stuffing RecipeJump to Recipe
No matter where you live, how old you are, if it should or should not go in the bird, or where you fall on the naming nomenclature spectrum, this herb and mushroom stuffing recipe is packed full of flavor! Want to learn more about the history of the dish, hop over here!
And I am a big believer in butter, butter, and more butter. This recipe shows that fact! If you are in a pinch and do not have access to fresh herbs you can use the dried poultry mix. As for the mushrooms, make sure to use a variety. If you cannot find fresh ones, look for the exotic dried mushrooms and follow the package directions for reconstituting them. *Bonus idea if you go that route, reserve the liquid for a little extra mushroom kick for the stuffing.
One important thing to keep in mind, this is more of a guideline than a hard and fast recipe. You will have to channel a little of your inner old grandmother “you just know when it is right” spirit. So have some extra chicken or veggie broth on hand to add in a splash more if you need it.
I hope that you agree with me that this is the best side dish, EVER! Okay, that is a bold statement but you get my gist. You will find that its savory taste is balanced well with a tart cranberry sauce. As well as, a splash (or drown it) with turkey gravy, too, for a little extra yumminess factor.
Drop me a line or comment below if you when you try it! <3 Or hop over to The Busy Llama community to debate the stuffing/dressing nomenclature a bit more. Happy eating, y’all!
Herb and Mushroom Stuffing Recipe
- large skillet
- large aluminum roasting pan
- 2 bags seasoned bread cubes or crumbs 4 loaves of stale bread can be substituted
- 1 package button mushrooms
- 1 package baby portobella mushrooms baby or full size
- 1 package mixed mushrooms chanterelle, shiitake, oyster mushrooms all make great options
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 32-oz chicken broth vegatable broth can be used
- 1-2 package fresh poltury herbs sage, thyme, rosemary
- salt and pepper as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350-375 degrees
- Clean, dry, and strip the herbs from their stems
- Finely chop herbs
- Clean and finely chop all of the mushrooms
- In a large skillet melt the butter, add the herbs and mushrooms
- Saute on medium-low heat until the mushrooms are soft and the herbs are aromatic
- Pour the breadcrumbs into the large roasting pan
- Add herbs and mushrooms, gently fold into the herbs
- Add 1/2 of the broth, gentle mix together; continue to add broth until the mixture is damp but not saturated in broth
- Roast in the oven for 60-75 minutes; if the top is starting to look dry or browning too much cover with foil